Friday 26 December 2008

Boxing Day

Boxing Day is a traditional day for sales in Britain and its Commonwealth states. On the next day of Christmas, people go out for shopping and shops usually offer great discounts on most goods. In some famous department stores like Harrods in London, you can see people queue for shopping in the store in the morning of Boxing Day. One of Phoebe's friends was heading to London on Christmas night and lining up for Harrods's Boxing Day sale in 2002. She was happy because of buying a fancy brand purse with acceptable price. Congrad!

This morning, out of curiosity, Phoebe and I went to city centre to see how cheap it could be this year. We remember in 2006 most of the shops did really offer good discounts for most products. I remember that I was eager to purchase a knife set in Mark & Spencer at that time. Its normal price was £70. I told Phoebe that if they lowered the price to £35 or below, I would surely buy it. When I got there, I was totally mad because it was labeled £35!!! Exactly the price I was acceptable. Then, I started considering whether it's a bargain. Eventually, I turned down the longing to buy that because, firstly, it is not suitable for my life here. Secondly, it seems not easy to sell out for reasonable price to new comers while I'm leaving here. Thirdly, may be most importantly, as Phoebe said, it is not a big brand like Global or Zwilling, but Mark & Spencer instead.

This year it's quite weird. We found that some department stores like Browns, Fenwick and Mark & Spencer, which used to open on Boxing Day, are not open this year. Maybe they would like to save the stocks for better price. Also interesting is that quite a lot of people line up in front of Zara, although I didn't see any notice saying that they are going to have a "Suicide Discount" or something today.



Since there are not many stores offering discounts on the products we are interested in, we simply browse around the city centre and take some pictures then went home. The weather is sunny but the atmosphere of Boxing Day looks grey.







We see a cute decoration near the Shambles which has two deers and one sledge. It's pretty Christmas.



Wish my family and all my friends a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.



No comments: